Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Duratec coolant sensor replaced, now acting weird
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
gjm4l
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93287
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3 S

FF Reputation: 1 gjm4l Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
tstat in a dtec can be replaced without intake removal (ymmv)

Yeah I knew it was in the warm up cycle because I "thought" the computer thought it needed to warm up but was thinking it was a malfunction and there was a glitch somewhere between the sensor and the cpu......

Regardless I'll say it, I was WRONG. Meaning on this issue I pulled a "part swapper pro" move and threw the wrong part at it so I spent an extra $65 I didn't need too.....

Replaced the tstat assembly (non sensor one thankfully) and now it's got enough heat to cook me out and no more warmup cycle after it should be warm, all seems to be working as it should. Guess never having had a stuck open tstat made my fuzzy little head explode. An interesting observation to me was after the cpu "learned" the new sensor (50 miles of driving) it went from the first posts description of the gauge to operating like normal but throwing a code which duplicates the original problem leading me to the obvious as stated by elsolo (thanks btw). I'm going to wait until the computer has "learned" it's new parameters before I declare victory but here's hoping!

In case anyone is curious you CAN replace the tstat assembly on a 2.0 dtec without removing the intake. It seemed silly to me to remove all that crap just to get at two hoses and 3 bolts. I can see why you would/should but it wasn't worth it to me. Be aware that the housing itself is super easy to unbolt and pull out and replace. It took half a beer. The Devil is the bypass hose(? I think) and the lower radiator hose. There is NO room to get at the clamps holding them on. I fought with them for two beers worth to get them out even using a fancy hoseclamp tool on a cable (pepboys tool is TRASH) but gave up after it kept sticking closed. Then using a pair of pliers fought the lower radiator hose on without much trouble but spent a full hour of cussing, kicking, and contemplating setting fire to the thing trying to get the clamp back on the bypass hose after getting it into position. As already stated ther is NO room to work, I know now that my left wrist is just barely smaller than my right from sqeezing between the intake and the upper radiator support (which btw is sharp as HELL where the two panels are joined)

I stand by the fact that it can be done without intake removal but if you have ham hands (I wear medium gloves) or have extra long arms (I'm 5'6" 200lbs (short and wide) and I was shoving my entire left arm as far as it would go up my bicep (made it just past my elbow to wedge myself nicely on one try, did I mention that sheetmetal is SHARP!) between the PS rez and the inner fender to get at the hair of room under the intake and beside the fan/radiator to be able to get at the clamps with pliers, you may be stuck taking off the intake depending on your contorting ability and the number of 12oz curls you do.

All in it took a little under 3hrs including several breaks to remain calm and the entire last hour working on that one little clamp but truly it wasn't terrible! According to my neighbor it was incredibly entertaining to watch