View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
Bwill9886
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93444
What I Drive: 2013 Rallye Red Civic Si

FF Reputation: 2 Bwill9886 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Nice write-up! While there is plenty of info around about doing this on a NA-spec car, I've yet to see something on the UK-spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmuffn View Post
NOTE: Iím not sure how North America focusí computers will react to HIDís but I know that for a fact that my UK focus doesnít like them. If the car didnít register the correct current draw from the low beams, it would give me the bulb malfunction beep and message and then cut power to the low beams. So I had to wire in resistors to the circuit to mimic a standard 55w H7 bulb. I now do not have any error messages.
Yes, you will need resistors for all the NA-spec Focus as well.

Quote:
The Bulbs

*At this point if you are installing HIDs onto a reflector, you will need to get some sort of H7 adapter thing to hold the HID bulbs in the reflector as the factory mount will not work. Well actually you could potentially drill a hole through the middle to accommodate the HID bulb and still retain its locking mechanism.*
Interesting. On ours you can just attach an H11 bulb and be done.

Quote:
The Resistor

This is a very important step, do not skip this. You will regret it later if you do. These resistors are really cheap like 5 dollars for a pair on ebay. They are '50 watt 6 ohm resistors'. There is no need to buy expensive 'HID Canbus Decoders' off ebay, because these are the same thing, just not packaged as nicely.
Not to mention those expensive canbus harnesses will not work.

Again, great write-up man. I also give you big props for the retrofit. It's slightly rough around the edges (literally), but the inside of the headlight looks great and so does the cut-off.