Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - battery light
Thread: battery light
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #15
Tymes
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94124
What I Drive: 02 SE SOHC SPI

FF Reputation: 8 Tymes Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmonster View Post
I have an 01 wagon and I'm getting this now. The Alternator went bad and then the battery so I replaced both, but now the light keeps coming on and it's getting annoying. Any ideas other than those stated? I took it to Orielly and...Alternator passes, battery passes, both are new within a week. This is killing me! Could it be a bad belt or bad tensioner? When I rev the engine it goes off Sometimes...Frustrating!

Thanks in advance!
Could be a bad ECU, according to the Ford dealer here, sometimes when an alternator goes bad it can screw up the ECU that regulates the voltage. And for about $1600 you can get a new ECU to turn off that light. I have the same issue, created by a alternator within Fords warranty, but they deliberately put it off till it was 50 kms out of warranty so they wouldn't have to deal with that expense. I ended up installing a voltmeter to monitor the power, it flucuates between 13 and 16 volts, thats why my light is coming on and going off all the time.

And for the inquiring minds, Yes I tried going to Ford Canada and they backed the dealer, so yeah when this car dies I'll near buy a Ford again.