Old 12-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
kburt0
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107104
What I Drive: 2002 Blue ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 kburt0 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Cold Air Intakes

I recently acquired a 2002 ZX5 that had a number of issues with the intake system. The housing was completely trashed (multiple cracks and breaks in the plastic) and as a result the MAF was a mess. I had assumed that it would be no problem to get that replaced, but I quickly found that there was no way to purchase that part from a parts dealer. It seems that the only thing that anyone will sell me is a performance intake system, most of which cost in the $130 range.

I didn't really want to pay that and, after getting what I now expect was terrible advice from a mechanic friend, I ended up getting a $40 cold air intake system from ebay. I know that there are debates all over the internet about whether or not these actually increase performance, but what I really want to know is will it work at least as well as the stock intake? I'd hate to think I wasted my money on this (though I suspect I did) but if that is the case, does anyone have any suggestions for a lower-priced option for replacing an intake system? Thanks in advance for the assistance. I can tell already that I'm going to be on this site a lot!