Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Unresponsive Engine
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,546, Level 98
Points: 27,546, Level: 98 Points: 27,546, Level: 98 Points: 27,546, Level: 98
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Yes, that could be the problem. That car is equipped with an electronic throttle body. That means that instead of a cable connecting your foot with the engine throttle- there is a just an electrical wire. There's a potential of water getting in there and causing issues with the wiring- then causing the engine to be unresponsive like you described. It could also be a bad TB itself, but you'd be hard pressed to get a dealer to replace that part if it's not completely bad. They might check it out for you, and you can ask them to put some dielectric grease on the connections just in case.

The most likely problem is that it was just a hiccup in the vehicle programming. If you experience it again, then I'd say it's the TB going out on you. Don't worry, that should be covered under warranty.

Secondly, read your lease agreement carefully. You are responsible for damage to the vehicle as far as chips in the paint, and so forth. You're also responsible for any mileage that goes over the agreement. The way it works is that you sign an agreement to pay on the car for 3 years (or whatever it is), and there is a certain limit to the mileage you put on the car in those 3 years. Typically it's 15k per year, but it depends on the agreement. Then you have to turn the car back in, it's checked out, and you're given a fee to pay for any damage to the vehicle. Nobody ever turns a car back in from a lease without being charged for something. It's really a plan for people who have lots of disposable income, and would prefer to change out cars often. It's also a good plan for companies because the lease expense is a tax write-off. Good luck, but I hope you don't learn a hard lesson about lease agreements like my dad did.

Put the air cover lid back on, and yes, moisture in the air cleaner element might cause that too. LOL Don't damage that cover, or if you want to- get another one, then drill holes in it.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.