Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Rocker panel snapped after taking delivery of new Focus
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Just Tom
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106663
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Ti (5 Dr.)

Points 1,302, Level 20
Points: 1,302, Level: 20 Points: 1,302, Level: 20 Points: 1,302, Level: 20
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 3 Just Tom Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Believe me, I nearly passed up the Focus in favor of the VW Jetta TDI; however even the Jetta has it's own set of issues and the maintenance cost is much higher than the Focus. All of the cars I reviewed had shortcomings in one area or another, so it came down to a compromise and whether or not I felt the issues with the Focus were something that I could live with. Recognizing that many 2012 and 2013 owners seem to have had their issues resolved, obviously with some notable exceptions, generally I felt that the fixes that Ford was offering would satisfy whatever problem I might encounter.

Obviously all of that remains to be seen, but now that the car is at the dealer, I'll reserve judgement for later. At this point, I have no reason to assume that Ford is unable or unwilling make whatever changes are necessary. This morning I read a thread where a 2013 owner just turned 10k miles and has had zero issues whatsoever.

It would appear there are many happy Focus owners who haven't experienced any of the issues that we read so much about on this forum. I also think it helps to have a bit of perspective. Happy owners generally won't take the time to write about it, whereas unhappy owners generally will. Considering all of the 2012-2013 Focus' that Ford has put on the road, I'd have to say that the number of "problem cases" is a very small sampling given the number of complaints we read about on this board. There hasn't been a recall, so that leads me to believe this isn't an epidemic as it might seem.

Anyway...I do like the car and I'm in this for the long haul. So we'll just have to wait and see where all of this goes from here. Admittedly, I am rather concerned about the Rocker Moulding separating. Hopefully this is something Ford will cover under warranty. We'll just have to wait and see.