Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Zetec Powered MGB Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #45
79mgb
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105006
What I Drive: 1979 MG MGB

Points 2,524, Level 30
Points: 2,524, Level: 30 Points: 2,524, Level: 30 Points: 2,524, Level: 30
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 79mgb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyboy View Post
Very nice, I hope your not planning on using that factory exhaust manifold are you? It'd be best that you get a long tube and chop it up to fit the RWD chassis or make your own header. That stock one flows like poo.
I'm not 100% sure what the plan is for the header/exhaust. I'll probably use the stock manifold to connect to the existing exhaust when we initially fit the engine in the MGB. The OD of the stock exhaust tubing on the MGB is a whopping 1.75". The build would still benefit from a better exhaust system.

We actually found that we could probably adapt a 1.8L Miata header if we really wanted to to go with a long tube header. (This is a photo of a cheap-o OBX header).

The spacing between ports should almost be the same. I don't think it would outflow the stock exhaust.

I've also considered installing an aftermarket shorty header and pairing it with a better exhaust.

Home made headers are also something we considered but we'll just have to wait until we get to that point of the install. Anyways, I hope this made sense. I've been pretty sleep deprived lately.

Last edited by 79mgb; 12-08-2012 at 08:52 AM.