mr1mrwun
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94331
What I Drive: '02 Gold SE

FF Reputation: 1 mr1mrwun Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Focus View Post
The GEM handles the blink function if I'm not mistaken, and there's a little speaker that makes the sound in the steering column.

Most of my exterior is LED and I have resistors on the blinker circuit. Then I found out that the GEM doesn't like having little resistance to the running light circuit. With no resistance in the running light circuit the blinkers didn't work correctly, the opposite side would blink faintly. Plus with the hazards the door chime would beep and the interior lights would flash. So I added small load resistors on the running light side to fix it.

You might be able to not add resistors to the blinkers, but won't get away without having any resistors at all; at least with out a lot of annoying problems.
Okay, maybe I worded it wrong. I've been doing research on how to correctly plan out and make an array of LEDs. Not planning on using bulbs but making my own custom setup inside the light housings. So I know resistors are needed in the circuits for the LEDs to work properly to begin with. Also from my research I found out that just a LED bulb swap makes the GEM (thanks for that) think that the lights are not working/burnt out, hence the hyper flash, because of the missing resistance from what used to be incandescent bulbs. So when I do this will the GEM's life be diminished because of the state it will be put in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0C0nFused View Post
What Sniper Focus said. Without any resistance in series, you have a 'run away' condition. feedback issues etc. The flasher driver is designed for incandescent. AS you wanted a "LED expert", to achieve a high flash rate, you need an LED interface circuit that 1: provides the required resistance for the OEM flasher circuit. 2: A timer (async) that produces X 'flashes' per second. 3: adjustable LED driver output section (so you can adjust based on LED specs which can change). I would suggest (rough assumption) not to exceed 2-3 flashes per second.
Thanks for that info. Gonna have to look into that LED control interface. Would you have any suggestions for me to start looking in the right direction?