Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - 2012 Focus fuel gauge problem
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #47
Milwaukee, WY
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102089
What I Drive: 2013 Bordeaux Reserve Fusion SE(L)

FF Reputation: 1 Milwaukee, WY Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_agar View Post
Two weeks ago I ran out of gas with just shy of 1/4 tank of gas showing. The dealer replaced the fuel level sending unit and it worked for 2 weeks. Now my car stays on full for 200km, goes down to 3/4 full at 450km.... WTF? Wow, never thought this car could get 1800 km per tank! hahaha. So once again I have it booked in for another dealer visit.
This is my first Ford in 35 years and probably a short lived last Ford as I have had it in to the dealer 5 times in the first 3 months of ownership.... Quality is... Job None! Absolutely love the way the car drives but it is the most unrelieable/possessed car I have ever owned by a longshot!!!! I used to complain about people being dangerous drivers... now I worry about my car trying to kill me... seriously!

Ok... rant over! hahaha

Anybody out there have a similar issue and actually get a permanent fix so I don't run out of gas again in the middle of rush hour again? Thanks in advance....
After my last incident in August, the dealer kept my car for over a week. They basically replaced most of the fuel systems. The culprit was stuck purge valves. They also discovered that when the purge valves initially collapsed the fuel tank, the fuel pump was damaged. In the end, they replaced the purge valves, fuel tank, sending unit, and fuel pump. Then they filled it and drove it until empty to ensure it was fixed. And it is. No problems since then, but my confidence in Ford has taken a huge hit. Not even my horrible 1999 Explorer ever tried to kill me.