Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawlStudent View Post
Hey guys,

I have been looking for a new car and I think I have finally narrowed it down to the Ford Focus. I recently test drove the vehicle and I found that it was a more pleasurable experience than my current Mazda 6.

With that being said, I recently came on to this article: Article

Now, Personally, I didn't feel any type of 'hesitation' or any of the other problems others were suggesting. So, my question is: was this a problem in the past that has been remedied?

I am just worried about getting a transmission that will cause headaches for stop-n-go driving and feel very jerky. Like I said, the 2012 hatchback I drove today didn't seem to exhibit any of these problems, but I was wondering how widespread the issue (if there is any) was.

Thanks!
There is a ton of productive/constructive discussion at this website on 4-5 threads. You can find them all by doing a board search for 2012 focus transmission.
Long story short many people have no problem or what could be considered "normal" for dual clutch transmissions-a slight unobtrusive shudder-hesitation on low speed startups.
maybe 10% of owners have a pronounced stumble-hesitation-clatter on startup, enough for passengers to ask what is that?
a very small percentage of owners have described a dangerous bog down/stumble on the highway or off.
fixes ranges from two TSB's and a recall issued by ford to removing the transmission and replacing the throwout bearing, sell and/or clutches.
people who have had this done report the problem is GONE.
when you remember that many dealers and ford customer svc have said the problem is normal, you need to ask yourself how could the problem be gone, if it was normal.

Last edited by mr_cassandra; 12-06-2012 at 01:30 PM. Reason: spelling/grammar