Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Ford Buy Back!
Thread: Ford Buy Back!
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #73
Just Tom
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106663
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Ti (5 Dr.)

FF Reputation: 3 Just Tom Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
You guys are missing a BIG part of the picture, the intangible value of being comfortable and satisfied in a space most people spend an hour to an hour and a half of their days in. If someone feels that a computer gadget to play around with while sitting at lights will make them enjoy their commute more, then by all means they should pay extra for MFT in their car. So what if it's not worth anything when you get rid of it? How many hours of enjoyment did you get out of it at the end for that money? It's no different than most electronics out there.

Same with houses. Many folks spend money upgrading their houses to their own personal taste to enjoy them more while they live in them and often do not get that money back at selling time. Pools may be the #1 example.
^^^ THIS! ^^^ I completely agree. Buying cars is a very personal thing and as kam327 pointed out we spend a lot of time in our cars, obviously some more than others. If you add it all up, the total time we spend in our cars commuting adds up to weeks/months every year. So as those miles pile on the question is what kind of comfort do you expect/need? We all have certain minimal expectations. For me I require a comfortable and supportive seat for long drives because I am one of those people who tends to put on a lot of miles. Also I wouldn't buy any car that doesn't have heated leather seats, moonroof and navigation. Just as power windows, power doors, power brakes, air conditioning and power steering have all become standard on most makes and models, for most people those items are probably minimal required equipment to begin with. So for me, when I bought my Focus, I bought the Titanium trim package and had it equipped with Navi, Sport Package and Moonroof. I didn't get the Park Assist because I felt that was one option that I didn't need to have. Obviously the sticker price on my car was somewhere around $27k. For me it's worth it, to somebody else perhaps not. On the other hand, I didn't finance very much, so if I ever wanted to get out my car I would be able to do it.

I do agree with the basic premise though that all cars depreciate and that you don't get dollar for dollar what you paid for upgrades. On the other hand, sometimes having those options can make all the difference when it comes to finding the right buyer for your car when it comes time to sell. Also, more people are interested in buying cars in colors like black, silver, white and grey than they are yellow, purple or green. It's called marketability. In the same way, having a car with all the bells and whistles has broader appeal.