Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Ford Buy Back!
Thread: Ford Buy Back!
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #65
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30og View Post
Most people buy a car as loaded as they can afford.

Then you live with the risks and huge losses associated with that practice .... if that's OK with you ... go for it !!

Lets remember again that in the first place, cars are totally worthless investments.

True !! But some investments are worse than others. Namely ... loaded $30K econoboxes. There are soooo many other choices for people to buy when they look at a used loaded econobox vs the rest of the market. They can get a lesser equipped car a class or two up, they can get the same model BRAND NEW with a few less options for thousands less, etc, etc.

When you take into account that these cars are selling for an absolutely ridiculous percentage of their MSRP's ... it's easy to understand that theier value plummets like a rock compared to their MSRP.

My car listed for$21K. After roughly $1000 in Ford sticker discounts, $1000 in dealer discount, and $2500 in rebates ... I'm in to the car for $16,500. Even if I can only get $14 for it ... I've done well as cars go. If you buy a loaded Focus stickered at $30,000, get a $1500 discount, and $3500 rebate .. you're into it for $25K. It's worth $20K max ... probably less.

So .... if you go by your theory that you 'buy the most options that you can', you better like that car because you're gonna be in it for a long time. If you like it, and don't have issues ... you're golden, but if it has tons of issues that make you hate it ... you're not so golden.

To be honest ... I've never seen a factory nav system that was any better than my $89 Garmin. Most are worse. I've had lots of cars with leather, and can easily live without it ... or if you really want it ... put a Katzkin leather package in it that's better than the factory leather for $1000.

REV