suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhilton View Post
Forgive my ignorance when it comes to Focus and all their abbreviations...I'm a PowerStroke guy by trade; though have had Fords in my driveway for the last 20 years. We bought a '12 SEL in June for my wife and her "adventures" at work (500+ miles a week). I'm wanting to install a remote start for as a birthday/Christmas gift (her birthday is the 23rd) and trying to figure out what I need, what will/won't work and keep it simple since I'm married to a blonde. I had thought the OEM offering was what I need...

http://accessories.ford.com/bi-direc...ton-start.html

But I all the threads I've dug through here only one mentioned the OEM kit...and it sounds like we have to give up a key for that to work? Having worked for a Cat dealership and life with a F250 PSD, my mind set has been OEM is the best for the vehicle (especially with the PSD)...thus I'm not too hip on a/m stuff. Stopped by my local dealership trying to figure out what would work...and they're pretty much clueless. Apparently I'll be the first owner to have remote start on a Focus...or one of very few. With all that said, on XpressKit they mention a "SA key"; I've also seen "IA" key mentioned a couple of times...what are those? On that Ford link it says for not use on BEV or ST...both the guy at the dealership & I are clueless what those mean. The two keys we received when we signed on the dotted line have four buttons on them (lock, unlock, trunk & panic) and notches are reverse cut...hopefully that helps describe what our Fungus was built/equipped with.

Is the remote start possible with a DCT? I'm thinking so since it...from a driver's standpoint...functions allot like an automatic. But like I said at the top of this post, I'm a truck guy...so these little cars are a different language to me. Thank you in advance for the help/advice.

I.A. = Intelligent Access, this is the system on the Titanium that allows you to keep a key in a pocket or purse yet still walk up to the car and unlock it without taking the key out of said pocket/ bag. The cars with intelligent access also have pushbutton start, so they won't work with that version of the remote start system

BEV= Battery Electric Vehicle aka the Focus Electric. Not sure why the dealer wouldn't know this one.

The ST is the high performance Focus with a 6 speed manual transmission and the 2.0 L EcoBoost i4 engine making 252 hp/270 ft-lb torque. Same question as to how the dealer didn't recognize this car either, unless they haven't had one on the lot or done any dealer training on it.

Of course the remote start works with the DCT, it does have a park pawl/gear like an automatic despite not having a torque converter. Its only the manual where you need a clutch switch override to bypass the switch and turn the car on.

It would be possible, but the O.E. remote start allegedly has poorer range than the aftermarket solutions.