Old 12-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
apagios
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 40891
What I Drive: '03 ZX5 SVT, '05 Mazdaspeed Miata

FF Reputation: 3 apagios Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
haha well I can tell you you don't want "breaks" what you want is a "brakes"

I may get flamed a little on this, but cross drilled and slotted are both completely unneccessary for street driving. Maybe on the track. But the SVTF has plenty of brake thermal capacity. For street driving cross drilled and slotted is really more of a sales gimmick than a performance enhancement.

I highly reccomend the Centric rotors, they work great, are not too pricey, and are painted in the center so they don't get rusty ugly:
Centric rotors on TireRack

I run Hawk HPS Street pads, I love them, and get better stopping power over OEM quality replacement pads:
Hawk HPS Street Pads on TireRack

Apologies if this is going to sound preachy, but why would you skimp on brakes? Plain rotors and a decent set of Pads are not that expensive, may as well get something that will improve your breaking performance.

I personally do not want a set of generic pads off ebay, I want to know the quality of what's going to save my life if I really need it. Find a decent set of pads you want and search them on ebay, but packages deals are frequently put together with bottom end stuff to keep it cheap.

Also on the subject of pads, don't get "race" pads for better stopping power to drive on the street. Race pads are designed for high heat load operation, and actually have LESS braking power when cold. Driving around town you never get RACE pads hot enough to really work well.

Good luck with the brake job!