Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Suggestions for information screen
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #18
JonathanGennick
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105685
What I Drive: 2013 Race Red Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 JonathanGennick Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
I don't like the idea of a giant digital speedometer in the center of the screen as a glowing distraction, besides is it really that hard to read the actual analog speedometer just to the right of the 4.2" lcd?
I'd like the option. But it's valid to argue that there should be only one way to do a thing. So we get rid of the speedo display that I suggested, and that leaves one fewer display option to cycle through. We actually get simpler.

Quote:
The whole reason why it requires you to hold the button down for 5-10 seconds to disable the traction control is to make sure you actually intended to turn it off. It is there for legal liability reasons,
I do not accept that argument. My vehicles in the past with traction control have had simple switches on the dashboard. I see no reason for not having something just as simple today. I have never not been in a hurry when needing to cycle traction control. Having to root around for the option in a menu is not an aspect of Sync's design that I appreciate.

Quote:
The same delay on the trip computer reset is a little bit long (especially when you have to reset each item), but again its to confirm the driver's intention, so an accidental press for 1 second does not reset the trip timer/ trip odometer/ average mpg calculation.
Sure. But it takes too long. Pressing right-click twice in quick succession can serve the same purpose, and it can be done faster, and no need to remove my attention from the road for three or four seconds.

It is also just plain silly to force me to reset each of the three items separately, as is currently the case. The current approach guarantees the three data elements will never be in synch with each other. Plus it takes a long time, a lot of button clicking and holding, and much attention away from the road to reset them.

Quote:
Flattening the menu structure isn't that necessary
Flattening the menu structure is a win. I do not want a Microsoft Start menu on my steering wheel. Simplicity ought to be the goal, not a nested menu structure.