Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Suggestions for information screen
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #17
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,705, Level 66
Points: 9,705, Level: 66 Points: 9,705, Level: 66 Points: 9,705, Level: 66
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
This is a fantastic topic. I'd prefer to redesign the entire interface. Flatten the hierarchy, because it's too distracting to have to navigate up, down, left, and right within a menu tree while trying to drive.

Create the following display choices. Use the up/down arrows to cycle through them:

1. Trip meter #1. Display mileage, time, and mpg. Double right-click to reset all three in one go.

2. Speedometer. Show current speed, distance to empty, mpg since startup.

3. Trip meter #2. Display mileage, time, mpg. Double right-click to reset.

4. Traction control. Press OK to toggle between "Disable Traction Control" and "Enable Traction Control".

All displays can include the outside temp and compass direction at the bottom.

I include the traction control toggle for quick access. The times I need that feature are almost always when I'm stuck at a stop sign and unable to move, and cars are piling up, and I need to disable the feature quickly.

I put the Speedometer display in between the trip meters on purpose. That way I can make the speed display my default, and I can get to either trip meter with one click.

No need for a hold-down delay on resetting, nor for any sub menus. Just let me right-click twice quickly to reset the trip meter, so that I can get my attention back on the road. Reset all all three data elements in one go.

One click on the OK button from Display #4 toggles traction control. That's fast and easy, just what you need when under pressure to get moving in a snow-covered intersection.

No need for any submenus at all. They are just a distraction and a danger. Eliminate them. Simplify. Reduce cognitive load from having to drive the interface. Make the goal always to return attention to driving as fast as possible.
I don't like the idea of a giant digital speedometer in the center of the screen as a glowing distraction, besides is it really that hard to read the actual analog speedometer just to the right of the 4.2" lcd?

The whole reason why it requires you to hold the button down for 5-10 seconds to disable the traction control is to make sure you actually intended to turn it off. It is there for legal liability reasons, therefore if it was disabled it was the drivers fault if they wrecked due to conditions or driving too hard and they can't say they accidentally brushed the button and turned it off. Turning it on all you need to do is press the ok button once and its re-enabled.

The same delay on the trip computer reset is a little bit long (especially when you have to reset each item), but again its to confirm the driver's intention, so an accidental press for 1 second does not reset the trip timer/ trip odometer/ average mpg calculation.

Distance to E should be on the trip 1/2 screens as it currently is (although broken up to the 4-5 screens vs the one shown in the European model in the pictures linked to in this thread.

Flattening the menu structure isn't that necessary as long as you're only going between trip one and trip two as it can be done by muscle memory only without actually looking at the screen imo. Can it be done? Yes, but should it be done? Maybe.