Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - increase rear sway stiffness
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
Richard Bridgette
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99824
What I Drive: SCCA GT-1 road race Mustang

FF Reputation: 2 Richard Bridgette Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Stiffen rear sway bar

Here is an idea that is a cheap way to make a stock Focus rear bar slightly stiffer. My 2003 wagon came stock with a 20 mm bar. The flat ends of the bar were long enough for me to drill new end link holes in the bar that are 3/4 inch in toward the straight center portion of the bar, shortening the arms of the bar from 7 inches to 6 1/4 inches long. To compensate for the shorter arms, I bolted 3/4 inch thick aluminum spacer blocks under the sway bar-to-chassis mounting clamps. I also mounted the bar in Energy Suspension poly bushings and installed poly end link bushings. These changes took virtually all of the understeer out of the cornering ability of the car, making the vehicle's handling much more neutral when cornering. The length of the end links has no effect on the stiffness of a sway bar, but using heim joints on each end of the end links and attachiong the end links farther outboard on the lower control arm will stiffen the effect of the sway bar. Hope these ideas help. Richard Bridgette, Huntersville, NC 704-948-9415.