dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by middie8 View Post
Update: I got my car back last night. The dealer replaced the clutch, and two seals. It drives well (for now), but we will see how long this lasts. Judging from the amount of disappointment in this forum, it looks like I will be back in the same spot again in a month or two.

Funny thing is when I asked the shop manager why the clutch failed, he actually took me over to two other 2012 Foci on lifts that were having the exact same repair performed. He told me that the seals have been going (and causing the fluid to leak), and because of that the actuators that control the shifting were out of sync. (We will see if this is BS or factual)

When I asked him if this was common for the 2012 Focus DCT, he actually laughed and said "Oh Yes!, Pretty much everyone we sold has come back like this". Makes you wonder doesn't it.

If my 2001 Focus was this problematic, I definitely would not have bought another Ford.
Don't be too pessimistic. Despite the impressions you may get from this board, lots of Focus DCTs work just fine. At least you were able to get a dealer to acknowledge the problem and try to fix it. Lots of posters with DCT issues would love to be in that position.

Don't know about the actuators being "out-of-sync", but oil on the clutch plates can cause an awful lot of problems and seems the most-likely reason for almost all DCT misbehavior. If they've solved that problem you should be in good shape.