Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Oil leak and battery light!
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
Chellby
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99746
What I Drive: 2000 Gold Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Chellby Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Oil leak and battery light!

I have a 2000 Ford Focus Se with a little more than 169k miles. D:

I'll start with the battery light. It's been coming on and off since I got a new battery in Aug. 2011 after a minor car accident that had over $2500 in repairs on my car alone. It flashes on and stays for a few miles then disappears. I've gone to have my battery tested (with the light off cause it always seems to turn off when I get it done) and they said it and the alternator is fine.

Nothing ever happens when it flashes except at night my headlights dim down a bit, but they also do it with the light off. So I don't know.

And now, the oil leak on the passenger side. It began after getting an oil change done at a Walmart TLE and it's a pretty bad leak. It only leaks when my car is off and sitting for long periods of time. From my car sitting in the driveway when I sleep (longest is 10 hours) the leak is about 6x6". It also started right after we replaced the coolant overflow tank and cleared some of the hoses of rust blockage.

My Dad (who has worked on the car since we bought it brand new in 2000) says it's coming from the oil filter. So I went back and they did nothing except tell me it was a front seal leak which irritated my Dad because he said it's no where near the front seal. Though, the leak did slow down when I got it back but it's been a month so it has been getting bigger.

If I get the time, I can get picture of the leak. (Only if I can get the car in the air a bit.)