Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - PTS Remote start from OEM Fob
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #42
Michael Jackson
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104370
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Michael Jackson Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaToX View Post
OK First thing looking at the diagram I am not noticing that the FM4 Firmware is not confirmed to work with a 2013 Manual trans. Obviously your mentioning it is working shortly there after setting your reservation mode.
I noticed the same, although when searching for my car, FM4 is what ADS recommended, so I went with it. I have been a bit uncomfortable using it considering the do not call out ANY 2013 Focus in the install guide, but alas, it works... Sometimes.

Quote:
Typically a remote starter that has had its reservation mode broken by a door pin or having the ebrake released will not even turn the ignition on and try to start, it will typically just flash an error code.
Exactly, and I the door pin is currently working properly in this regard. That's why I questioned the previous advice of it being an issue with the door pin since it does not respond with the reservation mode error code, it continues with the starting process, just doesn't crank the starter.

Quote:
You mentioned that it sounded like it was attempting to start but possibly the clutch bypass wasnt being triggered. What you can do to try this, is manually press the clutch in while activating the remote start. If it starts, then you know you have an issue with the clutch bypass.
Right. The wiring diagram was calling for diode isolation on clutch 1 and clutch 2, however, the car would not crank the starter at all with the diodes installed as shown on the ADS diagram. Not sure what I'm missing there. Also, with it being a manual starter, and the door trigger causing the unit to come out of reservation mode... I'm sure you can see where this is going.

Quote:
One other thing I noticed on the diagram is the door pin is being looped through on the white/black , white/red wire. Try putting disconnecting this and putting it back to stock. It is essentially opening your door pin electronically to turn off the retained accessory, which will typically reset the reservation mode.
I will try this, however, will the unit still go into reservation mode this way?

Quote:
Only other thing I can think of is the computer is going to sleep and causing a timing issue to occur upon waking up when you go to remote start. You can try to see if this is the case by hitting lock on your factory remote prior to remote starting to wake up the computer in the car. If it starts now when it wouldn't previously you will have to some how program a pulse before (or a disarm pulse) to hit the lock in the car to wake it up before the ignition comes on.

Hope this helps.
I've had the same notion, and have set the remote start to unlock/disarm prior to starting the vehicle to no avail. However, I cannot recall if I have tried waking the BCM with the factory remote, then starting with my aftermarket remote. I will try this in a few minutes to see where it leads.

Thank you for the advice, I'll let you know what transpires.