Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Some New Issues
Thread: Some New Issues
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #22
unclebrud
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85754
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S (Ingot Silver)

FF Reputation: 1 unclebrud Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFocus12 View Post
After 2 decades of VW, Lexus and Mercedes, I do see build quality issues on this Ford that have thus far been foreign to me in new car ownership. I like the little thing, think the Ford-Euro genes provide a terrific design, but I suspect bloated UAW labor and American union work ethic have something to do with it. I sure hope not.
Agreed. Who would have thought that you would have to inspect for panel alignment before taking delivery, for example? I would love to get a look at a German-spec model...I'll bet they are much better put together. Watch a video of the Wayne factory vs. VW Wolfsburg to illustrate your point above. I would prefer to buy American (and I believe that there are many hard working people out there), but not if the product is not well-made.

That said, I have no rattles...the majority of trouble (besides panel gaps/alignment) has to do with fair-to-poor part quality (dash replaced, steering gear, driver's seat cover). The Focus is a nice design, but it is seriously outclassed by the VW Golf/GTI (especially the new Mk.7). Mk 7, here I come (in Spring '14)