View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #33
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I agree with you in principle and theory but at age 60, it has been my experience that life does not work as we feel it should. You work hard for your money like I do and I am willing to go the extra mile to make sure I get what I paid for. All auto companies balance off a problem like this against what a worldwide recall will cost them.
In addition, as you can read here, some dealers understand the difference between "this is normal" and "this is awful".
This is a killer car for the money when the transmission runs right, you could not touch the performance without spending 10,000 more for a VW GTI or Audi A3.
But its no use saying what they "should" do, also no use getting discuraged and selling the car, taking a big loss on depreciation and sales tax.
Make Ford honor their automobile. If you search and read this entire board for "2012 focus transmission" you will end up knowing more about this subject thant any dealer/mechanic/customer service rep.
Do not just take the party line "this is normal" and go home all pissed off. Find and print the TSB's and recall and ask the dealer about them, have they been done to YOUR car ?
If the dealer won't help, see Crystal here at this forum, she can and will escalate your issue.

There are a few distinct levels of this problem

1. "this is normal" - slight shudder-heistate only on low speed shift
2. shudder-hesitation-rattle pronounced enough that your passengers ask about it
3. major bogging down on shifts enough to be a danger in traffic.

there are a few distinct fixes available

1. if its the hardly perceptible normal shudder, live with it, same as VW GTI
adapt to it, use a bit more gas on starts, same as a manual needs.
2. get the TSB's-reflashes-recalls done
3. have it checked for leaky seals, bad throwout bearings