Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Let's talk lift induced oversteer for a moment
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 04:40 AM   #16
jinstall
Deutsche Arsche

Fan#: 9730
What I Drive: 01 ZX3RACECAR/04 ST170/13 FST2

FF Reputation: 4 jinstall Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Okay, let's get back to "Lift Induced Oversteer" for a sec. here.

This is relatively minimized on a STOCK Focus because the emissions tuning does NOT allow for immediate engine braking when lifting (CAN be "tuned" to engine brake immediately, stock has a delay built in) There is still SOME of this effect just from the fronts NOT being "driven" anymore when you lift.

On a FWD car, when you "lift" it's like putting the front brakes on - nose dives, tail gets light, and it'll "step out" easier. If you are turning already, this will make the tail tend to drift more. (extreme case, if the tail is sliding already in the snow - it'll "snap oversteer" and you'll be tail first even if you steer into the slide. Been there, done that, when old RWD habits made me back off in a skid in my first FWD car)

Using this on purpose would involve steering into a turn, lifting a sec. to let the rear "rotate" a bit, then balancing the effect with throttle to continue the turn with the rear 'drifting" more than it otherwise would. This CAN result is a more "balanced" turn than FWD would otherwise allow.

The more extreme version (NOT "lift induced") is to "left foot brake" - keeping the throttle applied continuously while using the left foot to apply the brake. Engine power keeps the fronts "pulling" while the additional load on the rears from braking makes that end drift out more. It's kinda like a handbrake turn, but quite a bit more controlled.

Hope that helps keep the definitions straight, so we're talking about the same thing here.

Cheers!
Although this can be done at speed, it is not something you should try in the begining. You need to start out slow and then work your way up to higher speeds. Every driving school teaches this way.
2013 Focus ST2 TS NAV SUNROOF-Hers