Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Who's replaced the head and not piston(s)??
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
jscot
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106744
What I Drive: 2001 Gold SE

FF Reputation: 1 jscot Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Who's replaced the head and not piston(s)??

Going to put myself out for some bashing here! Just wondering who's willing to admit that they cleaned up a piston after a dropped valve seat and put a fixed head on, and the aftermath! Any burned out pistons?

I just did on my 2001 and it's running great. I went back and forth for awhile but needed to get this thing back on the road so just cleaned up the damaged piston (no noticeable damage to cylinders) and put a new head on.

I know many who have been through this have at least thought about it.

Pulling the head was pretty easy, so I figured, why not? Total rebuild was a whole 'nother level and just didn't make sense for this car.

I did replace timing belt and tensioner, new gaskets and plugs of course.

I think it'll be fine, I'm expecting another 100,000km.

Lots of info on head removal already on the site, so I won't go over my experience, but feel free to ask any questions.

I was toying with the idea of a used head, but the 2 Foci at the wreckers had both been scrapped because of the heads! Don't know why anyone would scrap an otherwise good car over this issue. Not that hard of a (half-assed) fix!

Let the bashing begin.