Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2012 focus
Thread: 2012 focus
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #30
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

Points 322, Level 6
Points: 322, Level: 6 Points: 322, Level: 6 Points: 322, Level: 6
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkirk View Post
I've noticed the same thing with regard to ambient temperature. As the temps in MD have dropped to the 40s and 50s the grinding noise is pretty much gone. The first time I noticed it was last year during an indian summer.

Think ford is trying to gauge how much/little they need to do to fix this problem. There are certainly cases of broken seals causing clutch problems. does every DCT that shows wonky behavior have a bad seal? Maybe they can figure out how to give it an ultrasound.

It is interesting that more stories seem to be popping up on the forums about folks getting their clutches replaced.
I have read hundreds of posts on this subject plus reviews in car magazines and car sites. I feel the focus transmission problems break down as follows.

Most people, maybe 60%+ seem to be fine.
another 35% have a stutter-hesitation enough to attrcat questions from their passengers.
the final 5% have severe problems like stutted and stalls in intersectionsm, highway lanes changes etc.

Fixes range from two TSB's and a recall to actually removing the transmission and replacing seals and/or throwout bearings.

This is a great car for the money if it runs right and Ford didn't get this big not caring aboyut customers, but you MUST be proactive, read all the posts across this site by searching focus 2012 transmission. Know the tsb's that are out there, read consumer reports reviews, if the dealer won't help, talk to Crystal here at this board and get your case escalated.

also be aware "some" mild stutter-hesitation at low speed startups IS normal for this type automatic BUT NOT if it is so pronounced that your passengers ask what is wrong.

I have found giving it a bit more gas avoids the problem many times BUT this car is quick, a little more gas may mean you lunge forward off a redlight.