Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - 2012 Focus - Add NAV after the fact?
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #35
cheekedave
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103448
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Silver

FF Reputation: 1 cheekedave Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerFocus View Post
I've thought about going that route, but I have reservations still about future updates/issues that may arise. And does it void my warranty on the system?

$250 is awesome! I saw someone on the boards do it for $500 (actually I think it was this thread?...).
Yes! I think I got a good deal, but they probably gave me the price because I am getting other modules to try out (active park, backup camera/module).. what I might do, I know its a pain, but I am going to hold onto my original unit and if push comes to shove I will just install it back if need be.. I don't plan on it but I guess you never know..

What I was thinking is maybe its possible to make an image of the firmware chip and make copies for people to put on their own unit. Like a clone :) Would require some technical skills but it should be possible. I have a lot of experience with electronics, firmware chips and such so I might actually tackle this project. I find it useless/wasteful to have to buy a WHOLE unit to bypass software. I will find a way :)