Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - IMPORTANT: ALL MK3 Focus Owners, I could use your input.
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #205
BlazeFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104991
What I Drive: _

FF Reputation: 2 BlazeFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
Hey I'm the credit card fix guy.
When its about 60 degrees my sound will show up now, but for a very short time, and its way better with the shim. Now the sound stops completely after driving about 2 to 4 minutes. It used to take 10 to 20 minutes to warm up enough. So the credit card is doing something. If it comes back, I'm going to get a set of chassis ears with wires, and trouble shoot the thing to the point of knowing exactly where the noise is coming from.
I'm not sure why nobody has done this yet. It will mean put all six mic clips in various suspicious places, record the output on 6 separate tracks on my laptop, lather rinse repeat, until its zeroed in. I can't do it till Christmas break, and I'll only have about 4 minutes at a time maximum before the sound stops. Of course I could take the credit card out.

The mics are 119 bucks at amazon.com

We could send them around to people on the forum. That would be a good data resource.
Or ford could it do it for us:)

I pretty sure that "ford customer service" will not show up here again, peddling that jive about "working on it" with engineers yadda yadda. That's total BS.
Instrumenting the car is the ONLY way to nail down the root cause so I applaud this focus (no pun intended). When I suggest that Ford isn't really interested in the big picture because of potential widespread cost and publicity, it is this very suggestion of "measurement" you are making that is THE definitive approach. At first glance, process of elimination via parts replacement makes a lot of sense - like Zillon has done extensively - but when that much work hasn't produced a marked improvement you would think Ford would want to take ANY opportunity to understand this at the engineering level. If they cared they would be all over this. Have we seen that? no.
My theory, again, is that they'd much rather limit their exposure on this by waiting for owners to register complaints by visiting dealerships. Anyone that is experiencing this issue in or around the Dearborn area should be taking this to corporate. The rest of us should be making arrangements to schedule a service department appointment; not because it will lead to an immediate remedy but because everyone needs to make this official by registering the concern - in the Ford service system. This appointment should be viewed as a minimum of inconvenience, with the expectation that you will most likely get a "everything's normal" or "no trouble found" response going into it. So be it. Doesn't matter, until it lives in the Ford service system it's not serious enough for Ford. That has been proved here on Focus Fanatic. If you aren't willing to schedule at least ONE appointment to register the concern, then the issue isn't that important to you.

Just because this thing "lives" on the interwebs in an enthusiast forum, that alone doesn't make it front & center like it needs to be. It need to be registered officially with Ford as well. Attention and bureaucratic soft peddling by Crystal and an assigned "regional" operative is a coffee filter mechanism; they'll close the case easily if strident actions are taken by the vehicle owner. I understand that their job responsibilities and limited empowerment may restrict how they handle these situations but don't let that be an impediment to getting a resolution. CSR interaction on forums isn't necessarily a bad thing and I believe it helps many people on easier issues, but in situations like this, they are VERY limited in what they can do to assist. Go to your dealership!

Corporate social media interactions a good customer response mechanism doesn't make.
It can feel all warm and fuzzy to be sure but it is not substitute for doing the "real" thing.
It's merely a facilitator and publicity function. Probably not even a union job.
It's 2012; social media response teams are in vogue and all big corporations with consumer market penetration are using them - but don't get complacent.
The more this spins in circles on the blog-o-sphere the less likely it is to get addressed.
Less talk - more action!