Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Duratec 2.0L owners.. do you experience long cranking/need for multiple start attempts?
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
xFOCIx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23553
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3 5spd

FF Reputation: 15 xFOCIx Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Duratec 2.0L owners.. do you experience long cranking/need for multiple start attempts?

When it works normally, the starting setup on a Focus works like a start button.

Hold the key to "start" and ECU disengages the starter automatically even if you hold it at "start".

It usually takes 3-4 seconds of cranking to start. Sometimes the ECU will disengage it, then reengage the starter while the key is still held at "start" and grind gears.

Sometimes, it will stumble and stall shortly after starting, but fires right up on second attempt.

Do you experience this sort of starting difficulty with your Duratec 2.0L Focus?

I've been suggested to put the key to run and wait a sec or two before starting, as if I'm letting the glow plugs warm up on a diesel. I've tried it, and I can't say that its effective at all.

It's been like this ever since new, been to a few different dealers over the years and its never been resolved.