Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #160
InfinityCubed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95846
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Metallic SE-Sport

FF Reputation: 1 InfinityCubed Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwcam01 View Post
It’s really normal, in any case, for a transmission to grind? I know I don’t know a whole lot about cars, but any grinding sound coming from my whole powertrain is unacceptable; grinding = something breaking or wearing down. It’s funny to hear someone say this normal, as I work on helicopters and if I were to tell them a grinding sound in their gearboxes was normal, they would fire me, lol.

I need to add that it grinds for about 1-3 seconds on a slow take-off and about 1-2 on a fast take-off. When it is about to shift from second to third, it drops down to a lower RPM, feels like it is going to stall, and starts jerking the car back and forth (the rpms fluctuate as well about 500-100 rpms on the tachometer). When I take off quickly, it skips from second to whichever gear, but jerks VERY hard and produces a loud ‘clunk.’

I am going to drive it a bit more here in a little while, I’ll see if I notice anything else.
Welcome to the forums! Roughly 1/3 of the threads here are about the grinding noise and the fact that Ford has had almost two years to fix it and haven't.

Feel free to check out my previous posts for details, I'm filing my official complaint next week.