Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #159
sdwcam01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 106567
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 sdwcam01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by powermax View Post
Its normal , mine used to do it till 1000miles(1600km) than it got way less noticeable. A little bit once in a while is normal, they all do it specially after a long drive.
Itís really normal, in any case, for a transmission to grind? I know I donít know a whole lot about cars, but any grinding sound coming from my whole powertrain is unacceptable; grinding = something breaking or wearing down. Itís funny to hear someone say this normal, as I work on helicopters and if I were to tell them a grinding sound in their gearboxes was normal, they would fire me, lol.

I need to add that it grinds for about 1-3 seconds on a slow take-off and about 1-2 on a fast take-off. When it is about to shift from second to third, it drops down to a lower RPM, feels like it is going to stall, and starts jerking the car back and forth (the rpms fluctuate as well about 500-100 rpms on the tachometer). When I take off quickly, it skips from second to whichever gear, but jerks VERY hard and produces a loud Ďclunk.í

I am going to drive it a bit more here in a little while, Iíll see if I notice anything else.