Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - New SYNC and MFT announced by Ford
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #30
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

Points 749, Level 14
Points: 749, Level: 14 Points: 749, Level: 14 Points: 749, Level: 14
Level Up 49% Completed
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well crap, thanks to an article on Slashdot today I ran into this:
http://www.mirrorlink.com/technology.html

MirrorLink is basically a remote terminal for your phone mounted on the dash or console in the vehicle. The contents of the phone are displayed on and controlled via a remote LCD screen and buttons on the steering wheel, dashboard, and/or console. VNC is used to mirror the display on the phone and handle inputs.

This is exactly what I've been working on in my spare time, I had no knowledge of MirrorLink until today. It stands to reason that somebody, or in this case a consortium of somebodies (including Ford) had already thought of it. A bummer for sure.

The good news is that this is exactly what the consumer and the industry needs, check out the link and I think you'll agree. Know that the list of Mirrorlink enabled smartphones is quite short right now, but I know how to build such a device and make it work with just about any Android phone as long as it's rooted.

I already have a proof of concept built, it even uses VNC just like MirrorLink does and it uses another program for hands free calling called NoHands/HFP which is available on SourceForge.

Now that the cats out of the bag and I don't have a patentable idea anymore maybe I'll start an OpenSource project once I have things working better. There still a few glitches here and there.