dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pozi240 View Post
I wouldn't blame Mexico for this, I'm not defending them or Ford, but, VW moved a LOT of its operations to Peubla, Mexico over 20 years ago, and all of thier Jetta's, some Polo's and the oddball Golf/Passat are fully assembled there now (they even export a lot of product to EU from there now), and, after some intial "teething pains" in the early/mid 90's, the quality of product mimics that of the Dresden, Germany plant. In fact, if you google the Peubla plant, they modeled it exactly off of the Germany plant (including the Canadian maple hardwood floors used throughout), and use the same practices and training there to ensure uniformity.
I would assume Ford uses similar practices, and as for parts. The Getrag DCT is built in Germany and shipped to the assembly plant, so, if it is indeed a DCT problem, the problem has absolutely nothing to do with the plant in Mexico. Programming on the other hand is Ford's issue, regardless of where the car is made.
The DCT used in North American Focuses is not "...built in Germany and shipped to the assembly plant...". While I imagine a few components may be imported from Germany, it is mostly Mexican-made. Which of course is absolutely no excuse as Mexico produces lots of terrific cars and components.