Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Manual transmission not shifting in cold weather
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
CGfreak102
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102291
What I Drive: 03 Aluminum ZX3 MTX

Points 193, Level 3
Points: 193, Level: 3 Points: 193, Level: 3 Points: 193, Level: 3
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 CGfreak102 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Manual transmission not shifting in cold weather

So i have been having an issue with my 03 ZX3 Zetec, more specifically with the 5spd transmission.

Ever since it has got cold here in Wisconsin, my transmission upon start up does not want to shift at all. What i have to do to get it working again is pump the clutch for 5-10m and then i will be able get it into second or third and from there, i find if i do some laps in the parking lot across the street, shifting from 1st to 2nd that gets my clutch working normal again. Once i get on the road i find if i double clutch i can shift like there is nothing wrong.

When i push the clutch down, and push it into first or second. the car rolls forward and sometimes starts to stall (i see the rpms dropping so i put it back in neutral.)

When i first start up the car, the feeling of the clutch pedal is like there is nothing there. After pumping it for 5-10m i get the feeling of a clutch engagement and disengagement, albeit not how it was during the summer.

Now after driving for 20-30m it seems that this issue disappears, until i park the card for 3-4 hours and then it returns.

If the weather is above 50 degrees i do not have any issue besides at times its rough going into gear, but that has been like that since i got the car a year and a half ago.

Some other details, it has 138k miles on it. Got it when there was 116k, i have not changed the break fluid, or transmission fluid yet, not sure when the past owner has changed it. if i remember correctly the previous owner said he changed the clutch around 80-90k miles, or he has not changed it yet. Kinda forgot, whoops.

I remember last winter, it being stiff at times, but never this bad, this is entirely different and a lot harder.

When i checked the brake fluid container, it was on min and it seems old. So what im thinking about doing tomorrow is picking up some MTX fluid from ford dealership and some dot 3 fluid from a auto parts dealer and changing both of those. Would that be a wise choice?

Thanks
-CGfreak102