Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Ford to Launch Fiesta ST in North America, Brings Big Speed and Style to the Small Car Market
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #39
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

FF Reputation: 12 swansong Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
I'm impressed no matter what, but 2700lb for a subcompact FWD car is too much. I'd be more impressed if they could keep it under 2500lb but that would likely require removing all of the creature comforts like sound deadening and electronics.

(I mean, my Focus weighs about 2700lb so a Fiesta should definitely weigh less.)
Agreed. It's an unfortunate result of increasing safety regulations and an emphasis on NHV standards. I'm kind of surprised at how much more it weighs than the standard Fiesta though.

Quote:
AWD is so much more than just for bad weather and drag launches and anybody who has seriously drove one will tell you that.
I guess my comment was more focused towards explaining why the Fiesta in particular shouldn't be FWD. Too heavy, expensive, and mpg-costly. Fiesta is meant to be a baby Focus ST, a comfortable, inexpensive, and quick DD car. AWD doesn't fit for the Fiesta. AWD certainly has its applications performance-wise, but higher power levels are needed to fully utilize its advantages over FWD.
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 78k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune