Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - IMPORTANT: ALL MK3 Focus Owners, I could use your input.
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #156
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty View Post
I have let my friends in service and parts know about the issue and that I will at some point need to look into this for (potentially) warranty. It's a little bit of spreading the word, a start a least.

So this is the final list of what you replaced (compiled from a couple of posts)?

Strut mount bolts (M8x1.25 grade 10.9 flange bolt with OEM hardened steel spacers)
(2) AD-1094 strut bearings @8.56ea
(2) AD-1098 strut mounts @10.80ea
(2) HN1 center strut nuts @7.08ea
(1) DV6Z-16A200-A strut tower brace @77.31
Correct. That's the full list of parts from my last overhaul that is proving successful as of right now. Everything is a Ford/Motorcraft part with the exception of the bolts.

Since the 3 strut mount bolts are one-time-use bolts, every time I've pulled apart the suspension, I've installed new bolts and re-used the spacers. At ~$13 USD a piece, those OEM bolts aren't cheap to replace every time, so I decided to replace the bolts with identical spec/thread units from Lowes. In order to reuse the OEM washer/spacer, my only modification was to drill the OEM bolt washer/spacer out 1mm to fit over the threads of the new bolts, after cutting them off of the discarded OEM bolts.

FYI: The Ford part number for the OEM strut bolt is CV6Z-3C448-A, however, those are for the old-style strut brace. I'm unsure as to the part number attached to the updated bolts with the thinner spacers meant to be used with the updated DV6Z brace.

I also have the ST struts and Eibach springs installed, however, the clunk was the same across the board, regardless of which dampers or springs were installed. I believe it's safe to rule those components out as contributing to the issue.