Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - IMPORTANT: ALL MK3 Focus Owners, I could use your input.
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #154
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

Points 732, Level 14
Points: 732, Level: 14 Points: 732, Level: 14 Points: 732, Level: 14
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
so here is another little tidbit of a clue...
I am the guy that pretty much fixed the clunk/rattle by wedging a credit card under the tower brace. Worked great UNTIL i took it to the dealer for an oil change, and BAM, the clunk was back, about 50% as bad as it was before the credit card fix. I imagine it has something to do with being lifted completely off its wheels. I check the card, and it was loose enough to push it in another half inch or so. So lifting the card did something. Moving the card fixed it again plain as day. I also got one of those utility knives that have the breakable blades and wedged a piece of knife blade under the passenger side brace. Its quieter now too.

I have noticed a couple of times in the past that having the tires rotated or other business that lifts the car will change the noise for a while. Usually it was making the noise go away for a couple days. Usually till i would hit an us usually sharp one inch pavement ledge, while turning to the right. That would make the noise instantly come back after a period of quiet after being lifted.
Of course this time its the opposite, where lifting seems to have shifted things to the clunk producing arrangement. Go figure. Sure seems related to me.
Right now I'm good with my greatly/nearly totally fixed clunk, thanks to the shims under the tower brace.
If ford has any brain power at all they will use that info. That is of course if they are motivated AT ALL.

Crystal, I am not buying your bit about ford being hard at work on this. If they are, that means they are completely over their heads. If i can fix it with a shim, it's an easy fix. The pieces fit loosely together. That is a rattle/clunk in the making. To fix rattles and clunks you insert shims, tighten bolts etc at THE VERY FIRST STEP of the process.
It would be better if you simply said the people at ford are waiting for enough complaints to hit some sort of critical mass before they start thinking about it, and we are simply not there yet.