Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Zetec Powered MGB Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #15
79mgb
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105006
What I Drive: 1979 MG MGB

Points 2,631, Level 31
Points: 2,631, Level: 31 Points: 2,631, Level: 31 Points: 2,631, Level: 31
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 79mgb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Hey guys,

I hope all is well with everybody. I've suddenly come down with a cold but figured I could give a small photo update. I've been working on the front suspension a lot. Within the last week or so I've been able to replace all the old, original rubber bushings with polyurethane bushings from Energy Suspension. This involved replacing bushings in the lower and upper control arms and the front sway bar. I decided to go with black bushings because they contain graphite and are more resistant to squeaking.

While I had the front suspension apart, I cleaned up and painted the components to keep it rust free (and looking good). This car was well greased and garaged by the previous owner so it's pretty much free of rust. One thing that bothers me about the later MGB's is that they have a very high ride height. I was able to cut the coil springs and lower the car to match the rear ride height (The rear currently has saggy springs and it conveniently lowered itself with time).

Here's the before photo:

Here's after cutting the springs:

With the new bushings and the lowered front end, the MGB handles a lot better. I believe the car currently weighs around 2500 pounds (about on par with a NB miata). With a Zetec engine, T-5 Transmission, and a chrome bumper conversion I predict the MGB will be around 200 pounds lighter. I'll probably have to cut the coils again to make up for the weight difference but it's really easy to take this car apart.

In other news:
I received a really nice gift from my parents and swapped my old, ugly steering wheel with a classy Moto-lita steering wheel. They also got a nice wooden shift knob to match. It's a VERY nice gift and I got it just in time for the Daytona Turkey Run. I know it's a little off topic for the Zetec swap, but I'm pretty sure my dad lurks this thread so I'd like to give a big THANK YOU for a very nice gift. Also, note the painted gauge rings in the after photo!

What's next for the MGB:

Before I get too involved with building up a Zetec, I need to finish replacing components on the rear suspension. This will probably include new leaf springs, lowering kit, rear shock conversion, new polyurethane bushings, and axle straps.

I'll be hitting a dyno soon to show just how much horsepower this MGB motor really has. I'm also going to have it weighed. I feel like this will show a great before and after difference for the swap.

This may come as a shock to those subscribed to this thread but I don't actually have a Zetec engine yet. I've been searching for a good engine with low miles. So far, I found a 2003 Focus Zetec with about 60,000 miles on it that's somewhat close to where I work. I plan on showing a detailed tear down and build for this engine.

I've purchased a fully ported cylinder head from ah1f39 and it should arrive Monday. I'll have to update again after I receive it. It should be great for opening up power for a naturally aspirated Zetec. I want to pair it with Crower Stage 2 cams. If anybody has these on their engine, I'd love to read some personal feedback on them.

As always, thank you for the support and the feedback. I'm really looking forward to this swap!