Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Anyone tried E85 yet?
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #14
vanace
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enginjoe View Post
I believe I said you just can't put it in your car and run it and that there are drawbacks.

It works great for me and I daily a car with it (4 1/2 years so far). The car has a modified fuel system to support it and a tune to make it work.

I understand that no one tuning the ST or any focus for that matter it seems, is using it. That's all I started this thread to find out, not to get in a pissing match with people who don't know how to use it or have failed at it.

Just seems to me the math doesn't work. Sure e85 costs less initially, but if your using 30% more of it then it seems to me your fuel cost is a lot higher. the previous flex fuel vehicle I owned said if you used e85 then your under sever duty maintenance schedual. Another added cost. Not to mention that corn is generally used to make ethonol.. our food supply= dumb. And e85 makes more smog making components ... if you care about that kind of thing.

As far as octane rating... higher octane does not add horsepower. It allows you to do things to the engine to make more hp. Like higher compression ratios or more ignition timing. Higher octane for simplistic explinations burns slower so detenation can be kept under control.
ST crew #18