Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Rear end wander on icy roads
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #30
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 57 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Berndt - I'll have to see where the specs. are hiding over in the wheels tires & brakes section - Geezer is the member who listed the best reference numbers, and you can find a good write-up on "toe" by him in the general stickies there (including some specs.)

Alignment threads were more current & easier to find when I did mine, but years pass fast!

There's a simple backyard method to check toe - you just need fishing line, a mechanic's ruler, and a couple jack stands or equivalent to tie the line to.

(Mechanic's Ruler is inexpensive, it's just flat metal 6" rule with a slide marker/pocket clip)

Set the fishing line on it's holders next to the center of the wheels vertically, and close to equidistant from the wheels horizontally.

Adjust the distance of the line from the wheel centers so it's 5/32 further out in the rear (I used a 2 5/32" setting on the rule for the rear, and set the front at 2'' so it was easy to see) The reason for this is that the rear wheelbase is SLIGHTLY narrower than the front, and you want the line parallel to the car.

Then measure & record the distance to the front & rear of each wheel to the line. (just measuring the front distance is adequate, both will give you the "big picture" the first time)

Repeat the process on the other side of the car.

THEN you get to compare numbers, and it should be apparent just where the wheels are pointing!

I was never "lucky" enough to stop with the front wheels exactly straight for example, but with one side toed in 1/32", and the other OUT 1/32" - I could be pretty sure they were approx. at 0 in/out if they HAD been straight.

In the rear I found MY issue, the left was 2/32" in while the right was 4/32" in - a bit excessive "in" at that right rear corner.

Fighting with frozen adjuster for a couple weeks (letting the penetrant work for a bit helped) I eventually got the right rear to move to 1/32" IN, and called it a day.

Car tracked right, steering straightened up, and the "feathering" I'd noticed starting on the rear tires didn't reappear (tires got rotated, new rears wore normally)

NOT a perfect job, but certainly adequate as it's held OK for 3 years now.

Just got back to town this aft. & saw your question, so I thought I'd elaborate a bit!

Luck!