Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Life Expectancy (Miles) of the Ford Focus?
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #7
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlouis1 View Post
My daughter in Maine has a 2005 Focus with 240,000 miles on it. Eats tires though. But no major mechanical work.
Cars with high miles eat tires when rubber suspension control arm pivot bushings tear and/or wear out from age and ozone rot. This causes the control arms to flop around and wheel alignment is totally lost. This makes for noise, poor handling and tires wear out fast.

You can replace the whole control arm with bushing already installed for about $125 each, or you can get real thrifty on some cars and replace the $20 bushings themselves using a hydraulic press. This is a problem on everything from a base Honda to a $150K mercedes. Bushings need replaced about every 100K mi on average. The front suspension bushings in my BMW need replaced about every 60K mi and the rear goes bad every 100K or so. Throwing new tires on the car every 20K mi to get chewed up is just plain nuts. This costs FAR more than a proper repair. Cars with bad bushings handle verey bad plus they shake and make a lot of noise when hitting bumps.

Replace the control arms on your daughters car instead of buying $400 worth of tires every 6 mo.