View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #12
Joey D
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86391
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Titanium 5-Dr

FF Reputation: 2 Joey D Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I use my tire in a typical Michigan winter, snow falls of about 1-3" at a time with temps below 40 from November through the end of March. Occasionally we get a 6-8" snow fall or even the 10-12".
  1. I use Michelin Alpin PA3's because I do mostly freeway driving and hate the feel of non-performance snow tires at 75mph. Really just about any winter tire will work better than all-seasons in the snow though. I had Hankook Winter i-Pike's on my MINI Cooper and they were fantastic and I even use a set on my rallycross prepped Dodge Neon too. Blizzaks are always highly rated too.
  2. I use MOMO Winter 2's for my rims because I went with 17's and the tire shop had a hard time tracking down 17" steelies for me. If you could find someone selling Volvo rims on Craigslist you'd be able to get a nice looking set of rims for your car without breaking the bank.
  3. I get about 2-3mpg better mileage with my winter tires vs. my summer tires. When I had my OEM rims and tires though I didn't see any noticeable difference
  4. I'd just go ahead and do it now. If you are seriously considering getting winter tires you might as well get them this season instead of chancing it with the all-seasons.
  5. Tire shop does it, but it's free for them to swap them over. If I had to pay I'd just do it myself.