thenorm
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 liquid grey ZX3, built for FSP

FF Reputation: 33 thenorm Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime View Post
1. What brand or type would you guys recommend or are using right now? Studded or just plain rubber?

2. Do you have dedicated wheels for winter tires? Would cheap steel or aluminum wheels do?

3. Does having winter tires affect fuel mileage?

4. Would it be a better deal to just wait until after winter to get good deals on winter tires? (I'd just have to suck it up for a few months with my all seasons.

5. Do you do installation yourself or do you get it done at a shop? Balancing is done when the shop installs new tires right?

6. Any other thing that comes to mind regarding winter tires?
my first questions is if you spend most your time in richmond, or if you will be travelling at all to whistler, the interior or even the local ski hills.

the other question is regarding your current tires. If you have high perf summer tires on, then you will need another set for winter. If you plan on skiing or travelling, then u need snow tires.

1. non studded, whatever is on sale.
2. dedicated wheels. steel or aluminum. 15" size
3. yes, slightly
4. you can try finding used wheels tires on craigslist, but if you are on summer tires, dont wait too long.
5. you only need to mount and balance once. then its easy with a jack and wrench
6. I live in vancouver and i have snow tires on my two Foci. it allows me to drive normally even in the snow. never gotten stuck, and much safer for my wallet having snow tires on the wifes car. I buy my snow tires from Tirerack, and get them shipped to Point Roberts in Washington state, then drive accross and pick them up. I get a local hole-in-the-wall tire shop to mount and balance for cheap.