Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Winter Tires
Thread: Winter Tires
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
Julian@TireRack.com
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 102247
What I Drive: N/A

FF Reputation: 2 Julian@TireRack.com Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime View Post

1. What brand or type would you guys recommend or are using right now? Studded or just plain rubber? Stay away from studded

2. Do you have dedicated wheels for winter tires? Would cheap steel or aluminum wheels do? You can get a set of steel wheels, that will also allow you to downsize your tires and in the long run save you money from not having to pay someone every spring and fall to mount and balance tires on your current wheels.

3. Does having winter tires affect fuel mileage? Somewhat. The tread design and the compund of the winter tire will grip the road better causing more rolling resistance. Not so much that it should be a factor though.

4. Would it be a better deal to just wait until after winter to get good deals on winter tires? (I'd just have to suck it up for a few months with my all seasons. We actually run our specials here before the snow hits and tend to start running out of options as the season goes on.

5. Do you do installation yourself or do you get it done at a shop? Balancing is done when the shop installs new tires right? If you just did the tires you would have to get them done at a shop. If you bought wheels and tires you would be able to do it yourself with a wrench and a jack. We would mount and balance everything before shipping anything to you.

6. Any other thing that comes to mind regarding winter tires? Keep in mind your TPMS sensors. I know they are required here in the States, but up in Canada you could skip installing those in new wheels, just make sure you do check your pressure and be prepared for a light and "ding" to flash at you when you start up the car.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using FF Mobile
Hope this helps, you can give me a call at the information below if you have any more questions on this.

Julian

Remember to reference Julian/Focus Fanatics in the "previous contacts" field to make sure the forum get's credit!