Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100151
What I Drive: 2012 ZX5 SEL SONIC BLUE

FF Reputation: 1 Rockyherald Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
ice scraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Why is that? If you never used the ice scraper you wouldn't be able to go anywhere for at least an additional 5-15 minutes while you burn gas idling in order to defrost the windows and who has that kind of time in the morning before work, let alone wants to burn the additional fuel rather than what is necessary for the defrost + scraping the window?

Scraping the windows on the older car never did any specific damage afaik, as plastic is softer than glass.
Glass will scratch. There is dirt on the windshield and when you use a scraper that will grind in the dirt. Plastic WILL scratch glass. My Plastic Vacuum cleaner tipped over once and rubbed a windshield I had in the glass rack in the back of my truck. I had to buff out the plastic on glass scratches before I could install the glass. I've done it and i've seen plenty of other cars scratched with plastic scrapers. Even a pine needle caught under the wiper blade will scratch. Done that too. Not deep type scratches but rubs which are scratches nonetheless. I take the time to warm up my vehicles, as a few minutes of gas is cheaper than replacing damaged glass. warm water helps speed up the process also.(might freeze back up immediately though if you live in Minnesota)
If you want to use an ice scraper go ahead.