Edgenet
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106043
What I Drive: 2002 Wagon with Zetec, Auto

FF Reputation: 1 Edgenet Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpokorny View Post
I have considered the transmission as the source but will approach that as a last resort as anything transmission related work is expensive. The vibration is intermittent. When the car first starts cold, there is very little vibration and some days there is none. After a few minutes, the vibration increases and after driving for more than 30 minutes the vibration is strong. Pulling up to a red light is tough as the vibration reaches its maximum just as the car stops.

I read in many places that vibration on a 4 cylinder engine is normal and that all 4's will vibrate. I disagree. I have owned 4 cylinder cars for the past 40 years and the Focus is the first that has given me vibration problems. All the others have developed a shake if there was a vacuum leak or a bad plug, but I have never had a vibration like this.

I'm thinking I may have the fluid changed and the transmission adjusted after Christmas as I know it will be over $250.00

If you have not had a transmission service in the last 60k miles do it it will be money will spent. I believe in the old fashioned service by dropping the transmission pan changing the filter and topping-up with ford transmission fluid.
I do not believe in those expensive flushes they are trying to push and in most case they do more damage then good and are more expensive. The dropping of the pan method should cost no more then $100 This may not help the vibration but it will help make your transmission last much longer.