View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #24
berndt
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102080
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 berndt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Went to the a trusted tire shop ( according to a friend who's been using this guy / shop for 20+ years).

I didn't get a print out, so let my try to remember what he showed me on the alignment computer screen....
The front axle was pretty well within specs, with only very minor adjustments needed.

The rear axle was a little messed up. I don't remember which was which, but one measurement, I think toe, was .015, or .15. well under 1 anyway, not zero, but close. He said a toe of zero and the car would handle like crap. I think the camber was 1.3 on the passenger side, and 2.3 on the drivers side. 2.3 is Ford's limit on normal within spec. So a shim to bring that one wheel in to at least what the passenger wheel is.

The technician said he recommended a shim for the drivers rear, and then a full alignment, but he'll have to order the part, and we scheduled another appointment for later this week.

The bushings, he said looked fine. He also said he hadn't heard of Focus' wearing out tires real fast, and i mentioned the 2005 and up class action suit. But he has seen Focus SVT's wear out tires, because those have a different camber setting, for handling. Oddly, the SVT's that aren't driven hard seem to wear out faster, that SVT's that _are_ driven hard...

I figure I'll get the alignment, and then keep an eye on them, and rotate often.