Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - A/F Ratio Guage Questions
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 12:40 AM   #7
Andrews-bad-SE
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100389
What I Drive: 2003 Arizona Beige SE 4dr Zetec/ATX

FF Reputation: 3 Andrews-bad-SE Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
Look up "Unity Gain Op-Amp" and then see if it would be worth the effort. Cost you $4-$5 at radio shack you do need to look at data sheets to make sure you build a stable circuit but is not that hard... but then again I am an electrical engineer....

Personally it seams like you just want some flashy lights. a $30 A/F gauge is going to tell you nothing and most likely is not very accurate to start with. And what has been said above it will stay fixed at basically 14.7.. may drop to 14.6 or 14.5 at the high revs. So it will always stay ideal. I can wire you up a dial with an LED you plug in that will always illuminate lettering that says "Ideal" :-) give you good price....

What other gauges do you get a good discount on? go for oil pressure or oil temp or volt? those 3 you can easily do and will actually provide you with good information and be easy to install. You could also do a water temp, the gauge one is not very accurate. Its use is limited to Nominal temp and better shut the engine off.
Haha, man you're always a big help. You're pretty spot-on with the "wanting cool flashy lights" thing. I just thought that the cheaper A/F gauges were more accurate... But, now that I know otherwise, I'll steer clear of that! I have just always loved the look of pillar gauges. I'll probably do what you said, just oil pressure, temp and voltage.