Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - How to torque the 4 rear spindle bolts for 2000 Ford Focus ZX3?
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
gello88
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102250
What I Drive: 2000 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 gello88 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How to torque the 4 rear spindle bolts for 2000 Ford Focus ZX3?

My rear drum brakes are making a faint grinding noise when I apply the brakes and I think I need to replace the brake pads there (It's been over a year since the last time we replaced it). I'm very familiar with the rear drum hubs for this car, I had to replace it a few times and even the spindles because the center hub nut ruined it. Thus I'm aware that the safe way to do a rear brake job is to remove the 4 bolts that hold the spindle and remove the drum and the hub as one unit exposing the rear brakes.

The struggle is that the 4 bolts are located in such an awkward place behind the drums and removing is already going to be a challenge. Now when it's time to put it back together, I don't know how I can torque each of the bolts to the 49 lbs-ft specification in that very tight space. So for those who have done rear brake jobs in their car, how did you torque the rear spindle bolts?