Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - oil consumption
Thread: oil consumption
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #30
IH84DZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101801
What I Drive: 03 CD silver SVT 5 door

FF Reputation: 5 IH84DZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
1 qt per 1500 miles is Ford's current limit on acceptable oil consumption.

Determining the amount of oil consumed must be done a specific way so until this test is performed you have no accurate measurement of oil lost

My opinion as a former Ford engineer is that 1qt per 1500 is quite a bit for a new vehicle. I've never owned a car that consumed that much without gobs of blue smoke and I'd frankly be disappointed if my brand new car required me to add oil every two tanks of fuel to keep it in check. But, this is the spec and these are the things you consider when buying a new car.

For comparison, in 2009 Toyota's consumption spec was 1qt per 800 miles....

Also, AMSOIL is definitely good stuff. My view on using Royal Purple, Mobil 1 and AMSOIL as a means to extend change intervals is that it should NOT be done while the vehicle is under it's warranty period. Based on my experience with legal cases, buybacks and BBB inspections - the manufacturer's scheduled interval (or oil life monitor) is the chief. Keep in mind the recommended intervals are adjusted by how the vehicle is used. Any dispute of wear, failure, sludging - any issue related to the lubrication system will be compared to documentation of oil changes per the manufacturers recommended interval. Proving you changed the oil when it was supposed to be changed is the first thing. Using the right API rating and viscosity comes second. The brand of oil and any analysis results come third.

If I were a buyback arbtrator I wouldn't care what brand of oil you used as long as it met the latest API rating, was changed correctly per the recommended interval and was the proper viscosity. If you used the super-duper top shelf AMSOIL with the proper viscosity but changed it every 10,000 miles because AMSOIL's testing said it could be done I'd tell you "Claim denied, you should go talk to AMSOIL"