FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianlarry View Post
...The oil change reminder seems not to take oil condition into account based on these forums, so the reminder will still come on ( maybe ) when it knows best.
Hi canadianlarry,

Your friends on the forums have offered up great information about the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor system below. If you have any additional questions, you can always reach out to your dealership or to me. The fastest way to get my attention is to reach out via PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
"Reminders" on newer cars need to be reset after an oil change so they can start their calculations over, otherwise it just keeps counting from new (or the last reset).

They seem to do a good job, taking multiple factors into account such as total time, mileage, idle time, drive cycles etc..

"Severe Duty" as once defined in the manuals would result in a short interval, while average use stretches it out a bit. If you did mostly highway, and a lot of that in a short time, the miles B4 reminder would get scary to anyone used to short mileage changes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by miuzi05 View Post
When I was buying my Focus, I asked my sales rep at the dealer how the oil change notification system works, since I was asking about doing my own and what effect that might have on the warranty (never owned a new car before). He told me that it actually senses the viscosity of the oil, and when it reaches a certain point of degradation, the system indicates the need for a change...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_ZX3 View Post
...From Ford:

"Intelligent Oil Life Monitor (IOLM)

What the IOLM measures to determine when an oil change is needed

Several key factors that affect oil life include:

Driving habits (such as towing and workload)
Hours in operation and at idle
Oil and coolant temperature
Engine speed and torque
Diesel particulate filter (DPF) cleaning cycles

How the IOLM works

The IOLM does not use oil quality sensors it is entirely software-based and uses actual engine operating conditions to calculate the oil change interval by using an algorithm. This means the system must be reset after an oil change. Not doing so will result in a premature OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message."
Awesome information, everyone. I'm sure canadianlarry appreciates it.

If you ever need anything from me, I'm just a PM away.

Thanks again,
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford